Yield: Serves 6-8
2lbs Ricotta Cheese
2 cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese (divided)
1 1/2 cups crumbled Parmesan and Romano (divided)
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 box of Jumbo Pasta Shells
8 cups of homemade tomato sauce (my recipe here)
1. In your Kitchen Aid Mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, add you ricotta cheese, olive oil, egg, basil, salt, pepper, and mix well for 1-2 minutes.
2. On medium speed, slowly add in 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of Parmesan and Romano cheeses. Mix well for 1-2 minutes.
3. Fill a large pot with water, add salt and a drizzle of olive oil, and let come to a boil. Once at a boil, add your pasta and cook for 7 minutes. Drain in a colander and run under cold water for about 20 seconds.
4. Add your tomato sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 glass dish.
5. Scoop your cheese filling into a gallon sized Ziploc bag, seal, and then snip off one corner. Pipe your filling into each pasta shell. Place each cheese filled pasta shell in the tomato sauce filled pan one at a time until you have used up all of your filling.
6. Sprinkle the remainder of your mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano cheeses on top of your pasta and then cover your dish with tin foil.
7. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes WITH foil on your dish. Then, take the foil off, reduce the temperature down to 400 F and bake for an additional 25 minutes. This ensures your pasta and cheese is perfectly baked!
This dish is a staple in my house! I make this almost weekly. It is so easy to make, so filling, and their are always leftovers for the next day. The added bonus is that both my kids gobble this dish down...which is rare! I love it and I hope that you will too! :)