Cook-Off Chili in the Slow Cooker
Yield: Serves 8-10
2 lbs ground beef
2 medium onions, minced
6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
32 oz chicken broth
2-4 tablespoons tabasco sauce
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of paprika
3 tablespoons of cayenne powder
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 stick of butter
1. Turn your slow cooker on low for 8 hours. Add your minced garlic and minced onions to your slow cooker and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
2. Brown your beef in vegetable oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Make sure all your beef is browned before adding it to your slow cooker.
3. Add your broth, tomato sauce, all your spices, and sugar to your slow cooker. Stir well and cover.
4. When there is 30 minutes left on your 8 hour timer, add in your stick of butter. Stir well and cover.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy with your garnish of choice!
I came up with this recipe after watching a couple chili cook off shows on television. In chili cook-off's there are time limits on how long you have to cook your chili (I think its about 3-4 hours), so nobody uses a slow cooker. I prefer the ease the slow cooker provides me and also I think it is a fool-proof method to not burning something! I came up with this recipe a couple months ago and just made it for the second time yesterday. My husband actually prefers beans in his chili, but I wanted to try a "chili cook-off" type chili, which has no beans, to see what he thought. He loved it! :)
Don't forget to like Cooper and Chloe on Facebook