Three Cheese Lasagna
Yield: Serves 8-10
1 box lasagna noodles (the regular kind NOT the no-cook kind)
2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
pinch of salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of dry basil
6-8 cups of homemade tomato sauce (my recipe here)
1. In a large pot bring your salted water to a boil. Boil your lasagna noodles for exactly 6 minutes, drain, and rinse.
2. In your Kitchen Aid mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together your ricotta, 1 cup of your mozzarella, parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, olive oil, and basil. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
3. In a large dish pour half of your tomato sauce on the bottom. Place a layer of noodles across the bottom length-wise. depending on the size of your dish 3-4 noodles should fit. I do a layer of 4 noodles with about 1/4" overlapping. You will have a total of four layers in this lasagna!
4. Spread out 1/3 of your cheese mixture across your layer of noodles. Place a second layer of noodles on top. Spread out another 1/3 of your cheese mixture and pour some tomato sauce in this layer. Repeat this process again, finishing your cheese mixture. Place your last layer of noodles on top, pour the remainder of your tomato sauce on top, and sprinkle the remainder of your mozzarella cheese on top of your lasagna!
5. Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes. I do not put tin foil on top of my lasagna because I feel like it makes the noodles more mushy. It could just all be in my head though.... :)
Lasagna is a family favorite here! This dish makes enough to feed our whole family for at least two days so plan for left overs! Let me know if you try out my recipe and what you think of it! Enjoy!