Monday, June 16, 2014

Cleaning Routine

My two trusty sidekicks!


The secret to keeping a clean house is just that...keeping it clean! The easiest way to keep your house at a manageable level of dirt and chaos is to instill a cleaning routine into your daily life. You may not want to clean everyday, but it is actually a smaller task than you may be envisioning and far easier than letting the dirt, laundry, and clutter pile up and have to spend days pouring time and sweat into your house. 
First, you need to run a load of laundry everyday to every other day depending on the size of your family and amount of laundry your family produces. The best way to tackle this task without feeling overwhelmed and allowing yourself the desire of leaving the clean laundry in the dryer for a day...or two...is this: Load your washer when you wake up in the morning, move to the dryer when done and/or when you get home from morning activities, and by naptime (if your kids still take naps), you will get a moment to yourself to catch up on a show, fold, and put away the laundry. Easy peezy!! 
Next, make sure you run your dishwasher at least once a day and put the cleans away. I have found that running my dishwasher after I put the kids to bed is best for my routine. When I wake up in the morning and usually while the kids are eating their breakfast, I put the clean dishes away. That way it is empty in the morning and you can slowly add the, rinsed, dirty dishes to the dishwasher throughout the day.
Third, vacuum your house every other day. I have a two story house so I vacuum daily, but alternate upstairs and downstairs each day. For example today I vacuumed downstairs, so tomorrow I will vacuum upstairs. This is the easiest way that I have found to suck the pesky dirt up, but if you prefer to sweep or something else than by all means. I have hardwood floors downstairs and carpet upstairs which calls for extra cleaning on both parts (mopping and carpet steaming) which are probably my least favorites of cleaning.
Fourth, mop your hardwood floors and tile floors at least once a week. Twice to even three times a week would be ideal, but at least once a week is important. I use a swiffer wet jet and make my own floor cleaner in the refill container. I coupon, as most of you know, so I am able to get good deals on the swiffer pads and I like being able to throw away the filthy pad rather than having to keep up with washing reusable ones. I have one refill container for the tile bathrooms and one for my hardwoods to make going from one floor to another easier. 
Fifth, the dreaded bathrooms... dun dun dun... I hate cleaning the bathrooms. Hate! HATE! I have four to clean. Four. It has to get done though. Thankfully my kids are still little, so two of the bathrooms never get "dirty" and are very easy to clean. Our master bathroom gets dirty, primarily from my make up and hair, which is gross. I clean the guest and master bathrooms twice a week because they get the most use and the kids bathrooms once a week because pretty much all that happens in them is bathtime for the kids so they stay pretty clean. 
Sixth, are all the extras that go into keeping the house clean. Things like cleaning ceiling fans, pulling out beds to clean under, window washing, scrubbing the baseboards, etc, all need to happen once a month at least to keep the dust at bay. Dust and mold are two allergens that can be very bothersome to a lot of people, but are also the easiest to make a non-issue by cleaning!  
Lastly, the general day to day things like yours kid's shoes, books, backpacks, toys, mail, etc all need to have homes and make it to their homes when finished using to avoid making your house look over-run by your beloved babies. We are fortunate enough to have a playroom and several closets throughout my house which helps enable my home to be clutter-free. The toys stay in the playroom, books go to a book shelf, backpacks belong in the hall closet, kid's shoes go in their rooms, etc. Everyone's house is different, but finding homes for everything you own is important to keeping a clean house. If something you own does not have a home and is not getting used than get rid of it. I am a huge believer of only having the bare necessities. I strongly dislike (hate) knick-knacks, excessive appliances on kitchen counters, etc. I am a minimalist, if you will, and prefer to have less out and therefore more living space.
I hope this helps! This is just what I do to make my house a functioning, happy, and clean place for us to live!


*If you have pets than I would vacuum daily due to the pet hair and dander and mop at least three times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment