Thursday, April 3, 2014

Incorporating Coupons Into Your Life!

Cooper and Chloe with an outfit that they each picked out!


Hello all! I just wanted to share a few tips with you on how to save money in your day to day life without stressing over getting the best deal! Use coupons. I know that sounds stressful to some, but I promise it is so easy! There are so many ways you can incorporate coupons into your day to day life and I will tell you how! 

1. Before you go to a craft store make sure to have a coupon in hand. Each week ALL of the craft stores come out with coupons for individual items or coupons for your total purchase. You can find these coupons on the craft store websites and print them out, pull them up on your smart phone at checkout and show the cashier, or download the app for the craft store and pull up the coupon on the app. At Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, and AC Moore you can only use one coupon per transaction per person, but at Joann's you can use one coupon per item you are purchasing AND they take competitor coupons. For example if you are buying three items you can use a coupon from the Joann's app for 40% off one item, a coupon from AC Moore for 50% off one item, and a Hobby Lobby coupon for 40% off one item! Joann's is the main fabric store in my smallish town, so that is how I am able to get a couple different fabrics or craft items for a discounted price. I love a good deal! :)

2. Buying clothing for yourself, your husband, and your darling children can add up. According to the Huffington Post, the average family of four spends over $600 just on back to school clothing! Ouch! I know that a lot of people buy clothing twice a year, once in the summer and once in the winter, but that can actually cause you to spend more than if you shop more often! Who knew that shopping more often can actually SAVE you money??! I shop for clothing one to two times a month, for my family of soon-to-be five people, and spend on average under $600 a year on all new clothing. The best way for you to save money on clothing for your family is pairing a store's sale with a coupon! It's simple! For example, Carter's was having a 50% off everything sale, a couple weeks ago, and they also had a 20% off coupon you could pair with the sale. I bought about $150 clothing for only $47 with tax. I stocked up on pajamas for the kids that were only $3.99 each, bought some cute little outfits for the new baby (girl!!!), bought two cute dresses for Chloe, and bought some cute play clothes for the kids! This is a perfect example how taking five minutes to think about what you need, where you are going, and looking for a sale and coupon online will save you so much money! Obviously, I did not buy enough clothing to last my kids for a whole year, but I did get them enough clothing to get them through the spring and into the summer. There will be more sales and more coupons to take advantage of before we "need" clothing. 

3. Use coupons at the grocery store, big box stores, and drugstores. I wont get into a how-to tutorial right now, but there are two great websites, but here is my post on Couponing 101! Why pay full price if you could get them for free or cheap?! My three favorite stores to get the best deals at are: Harris Teeter for groceries, Target for household items, and CVS drugstore for toiletries and baby supplies. A lot of people prefer to shop at one big store, like Walmart or Costco, and get everything they need in one shopping trip, but convenience usually prevents you from getting the good deals and you end up paying full price for something you could have gotten for half off by pairing it with a sale and a coupon. 

Total before coupons: $50
Total after coupons: $5 with tax!!

4. Use coupons when you go out to eat! We love to go out to eat, but it always sweetens the deal when I have a coupon in hand. You can sign up for email clubs with chain restaurants, look for flash deals by following eateries on social media, and participate in local coupon clubs like the Attractions Coupon Book among others. There are so many Buy One Get One Free Entree coupons and money off coupons (ex: $5 off your purchase of $20 or more) make for some great savings on date night or taking the family out to eat! Also, the other great thing about having book full of restaurant coupons will make you more likely to try new places than before! Saving money and going on a food adventure can make for an awesome memory!


These are four ways you can add coupons into your daily lives and save some serious money! I hope this helped! These are things that I do on a daily basis to help save money for my family! Feel free to ask any questions!




3 comments:

  1. As a frugal mom of 4 with over 20 years of experience shopping on a budget, I have tested just about every level of grocery coupon use that a person can do; from all, to some, to none, and back again. Coupon use will vary depending on people's circumstances. I have known many people who refuse to use coupons because they feel they just don't have time. As a working mom myself, who barely has time to shop for groceries, let alone clip grocery coupons each week, I truly do understand. Yet, not using a grocery coupon on an item that you're going to purchase anyways is just like throwing money away. Yes, it does take a little time each week to clip the coupons and take them to the store, but just like earning money takes time, so does saving money!
    ac moore coupon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you mean. My mom is one of the most frugal people I know, but has never "couponed" in her life. Its just something she has said time and time again that she doesnt have the time to do. I think that some people have the patience for it and others dont, but it just all depends on what you want to save money on. I would rather spend a little bit more on my entertainment activities knowing I saved money on my grocery bill. Does that make sense?

      Delete
  2. Hey Nona thanks for writing about couponing! Tell you what, that made me feel extremely blessed reading the statistic you wrote about that the average family of 4 spends $600 a year on clothing- my family's clothing bill for the last 5+ years has been $0, even after adding 2 kids!! My kids both wear nearly 100% hand-me-downs, I am blessed to know a lot of people with older kids, both boys and girls, and I get the best stuff, mostly Gymboree, Childrens Place, and Carters!! Then my husband and I get gift cards from family every year at Christmas and our birthdays and we get them to clothing stores and its always enough where he and I can buy clothes for the entire year on them! I know most people couldn't live the same way we do, but its amazing that we've literally never had to pay for clothing!!

    I agree with you about signing up for restaurant's emails from different chains- we love to go out to eat a lot too and ALWAYS look for coupons that come up in our emails that we can print out and save so much money that way!!:)

    I am just now starting to coupon at CVS (don't know why I hadn't done it sooner!) so it was great to read your tutorial for that store!!

    Congrats on the baby girl by the way!! Can't wait to see what you name her since I LOVE your other two kids names!!:) We named our new baby boy Grady, fell in love with his name at 8 weeks before we even knew he was a boy (but I had a feeling) and it just stuck:) I love names that are really unique and that you just don't hear (and Erin, my daughter, I've never heard her name on anyone under age 25-30, definitely no kids or babies ever, so thats a big reason why I wanted to go with it:))!

    Thanks again for writing this post!!:)

    ReplyDelete