Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Confessions of a Lazy Gardener



Confessions of a Lazy Gardener

I will be the first to admit that I do not have a green thumb. In fact, I have a black thumb. I kill anything that was once green and it does not end well. Thankfully I can make and grow kids instead! ;)


That all being said, I did attempt a garden last year. It went surprisingly well. Needless to say, I was shocked! I will share with you what I did and just how easy it is to have your own garden in your backyard! 


Step one: Buy or build planter boxes. I bought mine from Home Depot for $30 each. I got four so I could separate the plants out evenly and satisfy my OCD.   They were sold as a planter box kit, but it is basically four pieces of wood that attach together. I filled the planter boxes with three types of dirt: Dirt from my own backyard, Black Cow, and Garden Soil. I did equal portions for each and mixed them well. 


Step two: Buy one packet of each variety of fruit/vegetable that you want. I bought a packet of cucumbers, jalapenos, green peppers, zucchini, lettuce, broccoli, basil, cilantro, Roma tomatoes, and cherry tomatoes. I then used a small hand rake and sewed the seeds into the dirt. I also added a couple wire towers (shown in the second picture) to the tomato and pepper beds so the vines could climb. Lastly, I watered the seeds and went about my business forgetting about my garden for a few days. I think I watered my beds a grand total of ten times over a four week period. Like I said, I am a lazy gardener. 


Step three: Be prepared to have an abundance of giant fruit! Seriously. I was shocked what came out of my garden beds. My zucchini exploded, my cucumbers were regenerating like crazy, and my basil was amazing. I watered my garden about once a week and weeded....occasionally....very occasionally....very.......occasionally. :)


If I can have a garden than anyone can! It was amazing being able to go in my back yard and pick some items for our dinner. I still have a couple pounds of shredded zucchini in my freezer along with about a pound of jalapenos. Now that it is March I am getting my beds ready for this year. I am weeding out the beds and once this cold weather disappears I will repeat the same steps I did last year: toss seeds in the bed, water, and wait. I can't wait to have more fresh veggies and herbs! I even bought a packet of watermelon seeds this year. I am excited to see what happens with them. Yummy!

Happy Planting Everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment