Sunday, February 3, 2013

Trash to Treasure: Office Chair Re-upholstery

      Let me start by saying that I am not a dumpster diver. I have no problem with people who are....but that is simply not something that I wish to do. However, the other day I was headed to the gym and I happened to notice a chair sitting next to garbage cans that had been pulled to the curb for trash pick-up. I pulled my car over, ran up and knocked on my neighbor's door, and I asked if I could have their chair. They looked at me like I was a lunatic, because let's face it I did! I managed to fit the busted up old chair in my trunk and proceed to the gym. It wasn't until I got home from the gym that I thought to myself, "What on earth am I going to do with this thing?" I knew it would be perfect for my craftroom because I am currently sitting on a hard wood bench that cuts into my voluptuous bottom, but I simply don't have the cash to go buy a nice chair to sit on a couple times a week. So, wa la, I decided to re-upholster the chair! 
     I went to Hobby Lobby and bought two yards of duck canvas damask print fabric for $13 on sale. I also picked up some duct tape, while I was out, and I taped up the busted seat cushion when I got home. I had my husband, who happened to be home from work that day, dismantle the entire chair for me to be able to both scrub it clean and re-upholster it.  I then laid the fabric on the floor and proceed to cut. I did not bother measuring simply because I am lazy! I then took the fabric pieces up to my craft room and sewed them together to fit the back (top) part of the chair. I first made something that resembled a pillow case and pulled it over the back of the chair to examine how the fit was. Then I pulled it back off and faux piped around all the edges to give it a little more "high end" look.  Next, I sewed the bottom closed with the seat back inside the "case", which was difficult to do, but necessary. I then brought the finished top part of the chair back downstairs and showed my husband. Next I used my last rectangle of fabric and stapled, with a staple gun, it to the seat cushion. My wonderful husband reassembled the chair for me and it is both comfortable, clean, and new to me! I love my new craftroom chair! I'm so excited to get many years of use with it!


My wonderful husband putting my chair back together! :)

1 comment:

  1. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    ​best office chair 200

    ReplyDelete