Apple Chimichangas: Mexican Apple Pies
Yield: Four Chimichangas
4 Flour tortillas
6 medium-large Granny Smith apples
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 stick of butter
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1. Peel, core, and finely dice your apples. Add to a large bowl. Sprinkle your lemon juice over your apples and mix well.
2. Sprinkle your salt, sugar, cinnamon, and flour over your diced apples and mix well.
3. Heat a large sautee pan on medium. Melt your butter and add your apple mixture to the pan. Cook on medium for 5-7 minutes. Take off heat and let cool while you are heating up your deep fryer.
4. Heat your deep fryer at 375 F. Once hot, portion your apple mixture in to your tortillas equally. Roll each tortilla up tightly, like a burrito, and make sure to tuck in the ends. Secure each Chimichanga with a toothpick so it will not open in the deep fryer.
5. Place one Apple Chimichanga in the deep fryer at a time, with the toothpick secured-side down. Fry each side for about a minute each, or until golden brown. If your oil is high enough to have your Chimichanga roll, than hold it down with a fork so it wont cook too much on one side.
6. Remove from the fryer and lay on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Place on to a plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon, and serve up with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Almost every time we have a burrito or taco night I end it by making these. I LOVE them! I almost love them more than traditional apple pie because almost everything is better once it is fried, right? Seriously, they are melt in your mouth delicious! Enjoy!
Make sure to Like my Cooper and Chloe Facebook page!