Saturday, December 1, 2012

Elf on the Shelf: Bedazzled

 
 

     It is that time of year again! In fact, it is the BEST time of year; Christmas time! I have always loved this time of year, but I love it even more now that I have children of my own. I did not have that many traditions growing up, so I am constantly trying to think of fun things I can add to our Christmas that will become our new traditions.
     This is our first year participating in the Elf on the Shelf craze. In all honesty I had never heard of it until a couple years ago. I used to be in the "That's creepy" school of thought and "My child is so young he would use the Elf as a chew toy" school of thought. I have since succumbed to peer pressure, that and Grandma bought it for my children, and have a new school of thought, "Why not make this super fun for 24 days of December?"
     To make our elf "fun" I decided to first, change Him to a Her. I then bedazzled Her. I sewed her a skirt, added a lace flower, a bow on both the skirt and her hat, and blinged Her out with pearls. If you want to bedazzle your Elf, all you need is some felt for clothing, scissors, gems or pearls for bling, a hot glue gun to secure all your bling, and a sewing machine or needle and thread to sew the clothing. We named our Elf, Claire. She seems like a Claire doesn't she? I just hope she doesn't get into too much mischief while we are sleeping!

Directions to make Elf Skirt:
1. Cut one large circle out of white felt (aprox. 8in diameter)
2. Cut one medium circle out of red felt (aprox. 6 in diameter)
3. Sew the two circles together.
4. Cut out a slit in the middle (aprox. 1.5 in) and sew around slit opening.
5. Put your elf in her new skirt.
6. Add a ribbon around the top, secure with hot glue in back, and tie a pretty bow.
7. Add any bling you want on to Elf's new skirt.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment